This cookie is a favorite for the Jewish holiday of Passover because it is grain free and grains are restricted during this festival. Macaroons are delicious to eat all year round, when one desires a lighter dessert. The egg whites provide protein and the coconut provides other nutrients. I have experimented with different recipes over the years and have settled on this one for a perfect and satisfying cookie every time! I use higher nutrient ingredients to increase its nutrition profile.
- 4 organic pastured egg whites (Vital Farms is excellent brand available in most cities)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 3 1/2 cups unsweetened organic coconut flakes
- 1 1/3 cup organic cane sugar
- Leave egg whites out at room temperature for 2-3 hours for quicker peak forming.
- Beat together egg whites, vanilla and salt until soft peaks are formed.
- Slowly add sugar to the mix, and beat until stiff peaks form. If egg whites are cold this will take several minutes.
- Gently fold coconut into the mixture
- Place parchment paper on stainless steel cookie trays
- Bake at 325 convection for 15 minutes, or at 350 in regular oven for 15-18 minutes
- Let cool and store in air tight container or freeze
- (note) Egg yolks are a powerhouse of nutrition, containing vitamins A, D and K2 among others, so be sure and eat these. They can be added to smoothies or cooked eggs. You don’t want to waste these. See Vitamins A, D and K2 to learn more. Read Coconut, a powerhouse of delicious nutrition to learn more about coconut’s health benefits.
Yields: 32 large macaroon cookies
Written by Michelle, Holistic Health to Go