My one daughter is temporarily on a gluten free, dairy free, egg free diet, so we have been experimenting with recipes. We tried these recently and they were a huge success. Only thing we would change is to add more blueberries next time. Bake and enjoy if you like blueberries. We tried to use the best possible ingredients. (With no dietary restrictions, use organic whole milk, pastured butter and one pastured egg instead of applesauce; also with a wheat flour, there is no need for xanthun gum). Yield: 12 muffins.
1/3 cup organic ghee/coconut oil mixture (softened)
1/2 cup organic sugar
1/4 cup organic unsweetened apple sauce
3/4 cup cashew and/or rice milk
¼ tsp. vanilla
1 2/3 cup sifted gluten free flours (combine oat / GF mix/ coconut and arrowroot flours)
1 tablespoon arrowroot flour
2 ½ tsp. aluminum free baking powder
1/2 tsp. sea salt
1/4 cup organic flax meal
1-2 cups frozen organic blueberries (slightly thawed), amount depends on how many blueberries you like in your muffins)
Preheat convection oven to 400 degrees or regular oven to 425
1) Place 12 muffin tins in stainless steel muffin baking pan or grease and flour tins.
2) Beat together by hand or with mixer ghee and sugar in large mixing bowl
3) Mix in applesauce, then nut milk and vanilla. Mixture may look separated
4) Sift together the flour, baking powder and salt into medium sized bowl.
5) Stir in flax meal
7) Toss berries with 1 tbsp. flour in small bowl. Fold into batter.
8) Fill each muffin pan cup 2/3 full.
9) Bake in oven until golden brown and toothpick comes out clean. ( 15- 20 minutes approximately)
10) Enjoy warm or cool. May freeze.
Written by Michelle Goldstein, Holistic Health to Go
Delicious Blueberry Muffins first published in Natural News Blogs on June 24, 2014.